Fitness despite hay fever – the best tips for you
The whole world has only one topic at the moment. But we are allowed to go jogging outside. The problem in spring, however, is the pollen, which can now also cause severe problems for many athletes. So here are the best tips for fitness despite hay fever.
The mass suffering of the 21st century
When it comes to hay fever, doctors are now talking about the widespread disease of the 21st century. Because the disease is spreading more and more, studies show that the number of people with allergic rhinitis doubles every eight years. Even in this season, it is practically impossible for those affected to escape the flower particles. But there are suitable countermeasures to minimize the problems.
What happens with hay fever?
An allergy is an overreaction of our immune system to mostly harmless substances from the environment, the so-called allergens. The body produces increased protective materials against the supposed attackers. The immune system gets out of balance – possible consequences: blocked nose, sneezing fits, inflamed eyes, coughing, sleep disorders, and headaches. Anyone suffering from this should consult a competent doctor. After all, if hay fever is left untreated, there is a risk of developing asthma.
How can doctors help?
With the hyposensitization, also called specific immunotherapy, a quite successful treatment strategy is available today. It aims to prevent the pathogenic effect of allergens. These include pollen and grasses, but also house dust. The success rate is 80 percent, and the statutory health insurance companies usually also cover the costs. Important to know. The treatment can last from three to five years. Of course, you should not do without your sports program for that long. Therefore here is the pollen protection plan for each day.
In the morning between 6 and 9 o’clock
If you live in the city and your time allows, you should do sports during this time. The pollen load is then particularly low. In the countryside, it looks different. In the neighborhood of fields and meadows, the pollen levels are usually very high in the early morning. If you take medication, you should take it outdoors for half an hour before the fitness program. It is also useful to check the pollen count forecast regularly.
Between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
It is, unfortunately, a very inconvenient time to do sports if you suffer from hay fever. Especially in the late morning, the pollen load is very high. If you still want to do sports, you should take the medication prescribed by your doctor and wear glasses.
In the afternoon between 1 and 6 p.m.
Since the biorhythm is in the cellar at this time and the pollen load is also quite high, you should refrain from outdoor sports until 3 or 4 pm. From 4 pm onwards, your physical performance will increase, but it is advisable to check the pollen count in advance.
Between 6 and 10 p.m.
If you live in the countryside, the pollen load will decrease, and there should be fewer sports problems with outdoor fitness. In the city, on the other hand, the pollen load is very high. If you still want to exercise, you should discuss a possible treatment strategy with your doctor. Nasal sprays and eye drops can help.
Other important tips for hay fever
- You can’t order it, but 30 minutes after a rain shower is optimal to train. Because then the air is cleaned of pollen flying around.
- If it is dry, you should wash your hair immediately after training. Pollen likes to hide there.
- Pollen also accumulates in clothing.You shouldn’t change your sportswear in the bedroom if possible so that you can sleep well at night.
- You should always listen to your body, but this is especially true for hay fever sufferers. If you feel tired, you should exercise less intensively. The more you exert yourself, the higher the pollen load in the upper airways. You should also slowly increase the amount.
- As a runner, you can look for alternative routes. If you are allergic to grass, it is better to run in the forest rather than in fields and meadows. Tree pollen allergy sufferers are better off in open terrain. If you are allergic to almost everything, hopefully, there is a coniferous forest nearby.
Note: I have researched this article carefully. But of course, it cannot replace a visit to the doctor. And it is really advisable to seek treatment from a good allergologist.