The best ways to structure your strength training
No matter what your goals are with regular strength training, you should train according to a plan. You have a few options that you should know about. Here is a list of the most essential methods to structure your strength training and build it according to your needs:
You have several options
There are many options open to you when it comes to strength training. You can train on and with different equipment or with your own body weight. How you build up your strength training depends on your goals, training experience, and preferences. It is incredibly successful in varying in different methods. Here is a list so that you know how to structure your strength training.
Supersets are a popular training element
One of the most popular methods of strength training is supersets. This involves training both the agonist and the antagonist of a muscle group. For example, you first train the agonist to exhaustion with the biceps and then train the antagonist directly afterward with the triceps. This leads to an increase in blood flow in the loaded muscles, called floating. However, there are other superset variations that you can use to structure your strength training:
- You train the same muscle group with two different exercises without a break.
- Or you train two completely different muscle groups, such as chest and legs, directly one after the other.
The advantage of supersets
Supersets are ideal for performing an effective and high-quality workout with less time. This type of training is also suitable for those who want to burn fat. In combination with endurance training, any superfluous pounds will fall off remarkably quickly.
The popular three-set training
This is probably the most well-known method of strength training. You do three sets of 8 to 12 repetitions and a certain amount of rest. You can find out more about pausing during strength training here. The advantages of this method are:
- You can train specific muscles or even whole muscle groups.
- It is proven to be one of the best methods to build more strength.
A significant and varied fitness variation is circuit training. Depending on your fitness level, a circuit can consist of 5 to 12 different exercises. You should combine the activities by working for as many muscle groups as possible by the end of the training. How you can set up a circuit training program and which variations are available can be found here. The advantages are:
- You won’t get bored during your workout if you let your creativity run free with the exercises.
- Depending on the duration and length of the breaks, you can train your strength and your endurance.
With this variation, you increase the weight with each set while simultaneously reducing the number of repetitions. The ideal is 3 to 5 sets with 5 to 20 repetitions. For example: In the first set of the bench press, you do 12 repetitions with 40 kilos, then 10 repetitions with 50 kilos, 8 repetitions with 60 kilos, and so on. You can also do the same in reverse order. Start with high weights and few repetitions. However, you should already have a certain level. The advantages of pyramid sets:
- The ascending load is best suited to carefully build up muscles.
- They are also considered a suitable training method to get back into shape after an injury break.