The best ways to determine your repetition maximum
If you exercise your muscles regularly, you probably want to see success. Training with the right weight is the most important prerequisite for continuous increases in performance. No matter if you want to improve your strength endurance, define muscles or simply look more athletic. In order to achieve your goals, you should know your repetition maximum.
Why it is important to know the repetition maximum
It’s quite simple: If you work with weights that are too light, the muscle won’t react. If the weights are too heavy, you risk overloading and in the worst case even injury. But when you know your repetition maximum, you can plan your training individually. To determine your repetition maximum you need a second person for assistance. The ideal person is someone who is familiar with weight training. With the so-called dynamic-repetition-maximum-strength test you can then quickly determine your individual performance yourself.
The best way to proceed
- First, you should warm-up for a few minutes. Then do ten repetitions with a lightweight to prepare your muscles. The muscles memorize the movement pattern. So they can better adjust to the following load.
- Then choose a weight that you think you can only repeat once. Do the exercise correctly. The second person should pay attention to this.
- Then take a break of at least three to four minutes. Then you put on a little more weight and try to master it again.
- You do this for so long until you are no longer able to handle the weight with the correct movement.
- Note date and weight. It corresponds to your current maximum strength in this exercise.
You should test your repetition maximum regularly
If you train regularly and according to your individual abilities, you will improve your performance. Therefore it is important to test the repetition maximum, again and again, to adjust the weights during training. Experts call this the principle of progressive increasing load. Because performance enhancements are only possible if you set an over threshold stimulus. If you train three times a week, you should test out every four to six weeks.
A special tip für you
If you want to test several devices, make sure that the same muscle groups are not tested one after the other. Due to fatigue, this would falsify the results. Pressing the bench and then squatting is okay.